"Acting for the Camera Certificate Program"
University of W Extension, Session 5
INTRO:
Fifth Class for "Acting for the Camera Certificate Program", at University of W Extension
We worked on the moving master shots, and watched the results. I had a simple idea I wanted to try, and volunteered after the fact and we did that in class.
TOPIC: N/A
HOMEWORK
1. Complete quiz to be sent in Email.
2. Carry over: Get props/idea for Private moment in public exercise.
3. Carry over: Find private moment examples
REFERENCES
REFLECTION
I ended up being the prime character in the first moving master. Watching myself on a full screen format expanded to a wide screen reminded me to lose more weight. ;)
It was fun being in the shots, and trying to remember the different things like leading with eyes and keep movement in frame though it was less of an issue than the tight mirror shots. We didn't know when we were off camera, so it seems like the extras and principles kept the energy up, inadvertently practicing some of the very techniques regarding the moment before and after.
I think my shot was the simplest, a simple pan with the camera rising. I liked the effect I was going for but the elegant nature of the shot was harder to carry off and would have taken another five runs or so to adjust the heights of focus in a way that had a smoother through line. Complex movement with a wider perspective would have been easier to pull off. It seems obvious now, but was counter-intuitive at the time.
It was also my first attempt at directing, other than helping friends/relatives present a monologue or recitation. That was mostly coaching, where this was more shaping the scene. I don't know that I have a gift for it. I don't have a gift for acting either, and have to work at it. This is not a pity pot indulgence. As a Naval officer and aviator I found that my peers who didn't have a gift technical pursuits far outperformed me. I had a romantic view of aviation, and they had a passion which drove them. I wouldn't be pursuing acting without passion.
I was disappointed that my so simple shot didn't really seem to come off. I admired the work of all the other moving master directors.
[Post Date: 24Feb10]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home