Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

New Baggings

CLASSES
Audition: (Last Class)
We ran through audition pieces for the final time. Kate brought a co-worker from the Intiman, to serve as a reader. One at a time, like an actual audition we did our three monologues, then a prepared reading, and a personal interview. I was alright. Not great by any means. I need to assimilate a lot more before I blown anyone away in that kind of audition, but I will at least be competent.

I used the Irish dialect Jack worked with us last Sunday. I'll need to ask Kate if that helped me. I felt it helped me find and alter the character when asked. As opposed to the initial prepared reading when I felt like doody, feeling better and having a dialect to help the character made me more agile in incorporating direction. I was actually complimented on it this time around.

Movement: (Last Class)
We did the last two characters, then the Meisner activity scenes we'd prepared. We had a discussion before class. Ben teased me about conning Precious saying I'd pulled one over on her by saying it was harder for me to come to the door than do an activity. Well I was in earnest, and I think most of us felt the same way. If Precious and I both had what we considered to be the harder role for ourselves, that's great.

The physical character work, and experience since Meisner made this a more transforming exercise than I remembered. I remember feeling very emotional in the scenes, and while it may not have been so intense in that way, there was more of a transformation to a character other than me. I was pleased with that.

We had a potluck for the last hour. We had started the class wearing T-shirts "The Thinker" on the front, saying "Body By George" which Trina spearheaded. The back said "What would Decroux Do?" Decroux developed corporeal mime, and George is one of the elite who studied personally with him. My contribution was the word "Do" instead of "Say", so it would rhyme and have a little fun with the "What would Jesus Do?" bumper stickers. (Why is it that I assume people with that bumper sticker would be the very first to stone the outcasts whom Jesus would have embraced?) Most people wore the T-shirts, I was one of the ones who did not. I was worried I'd stain it on the first wearing.

George left they room in a humorous way for a minute, and I think it was to keep his composure. He will miss the ensemble as much as any of us. He told us again what a pleasure it was for him to work with people that were dedicated and took things as far as we were willing to go. It is frustrating for us, as we feel like we just scratched the surface. Thank you, George.


Rehearsal:
No Speech, that finished last Sunday. No Acting/Text, that finished Friday.

We worked with Hal. Lori and I were up last from 9:30 to 10:30. I was glad that we only worked the last beat of my soliloquy. Hal wanted to work with both of us, and I felt the same. It is critical I nail the soliloquy to get the scene going, but I didn't want to make Lori sit around for all of that. I was relieved Hal was thinking the same way.

A lot of basic work. For me it was keeping my voice and physicality strong -- forward and planted. The same as combat, and movement, and... I am getting better, but it will be a long struggle. I was cross with myself last night that I still have these issues. Thinking more generously towards myself at the moment, I see there is growth. I know exactly what he is talking about, and respond to the direction.


OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
It is heady. It is frustrating. It is frightening. It is pleasurable. We were talking after Movement commenting how it feels we've just touched the surface. We've come so far, have so much left to assimilate, and it seems there is more than ever to learn. I easily recognize my habitual behaviors, but only about half the time without having them pointed out. Knowing exactly what you're doing wrong is a big step, and recognizing it yourself a good deal of the time is another. Something I should remember more often whilst beating myself up.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home