Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Monday, January 11, 2010

"Acting for the Camera Certificate Program"
University of Wash. Extension, Session 2

INTRO:
No problems finding the class this week. Though, I have learned something regarding my notes. I found for the first week writing this log was a great weekend activity. Especially the reflection segment at the end which is used for homework. The material was still fresh enough that I could associate a lot of material I did not put down in my handwritten notes, and it helped me prepare for the upcoming class. The latter holds true when there is a holiday, but the subtleties aren't as fresh nearly two weeks later, so the homework section in particular will not be as fresh.
11Jan10 Whiteboard Notes


TOPIC: Moving Masters:
Complex camera work must synchronize with complex actor's movement. See REFERENCES
1. Wheelchair shots -- work better inside -- cameraman sits in wheelchair.

2. Tracks and cranes.

3. Rack shot.
- When camera itself is stationary and the depth of focus changes.

4. Tilt.
- Also called Dutch Angle (via wiki aka, Dutch angle, oblique angle, German angle, canted angle or Batman Angle). Horizon is skewed, and elevation is moved in some examples. Disorienting -- sounds like it is akin the Shakespeare's feminine endings (cadence) as in Hamlet's soliloquy for driving heightened emotions.

Camera subjectivises itself when it moves with you. Subjective camera is when it is part of the shot, typically closer to actor and/or 18o line like 1st and 3rd person.



TOPIC: Production Crew Terms
Above the Line: Costs determined before shooting begins.
From Wikipedia which matches notes, and with more detail
In the movie industry, above-the-line expenditures are those that are negotiated or spent before filming begins. These costs can include rights for the material on which the screenplay is based; and the salaries for the screenwriter, producer, actors, director, and assistants to directors (not to be confused with assistant directors).


Below the Line: Crew, known cost.
From Wikipedia which mostly matches notes, and with more detail
In budgeting a motion picture or television production, below-the-line costs include the salaries of the non-starring cast members and the technical crew, as well as use of the film studio and its technical equipment, travel, location, and catering costs, etc. In contrast to above the line costs, the below-the-line budget is usually fixed.




TOPIC: Acting notes
Active Talking and Listening
1. Given Circumstances - Truthful response to imagined circumstances
- Past. The characters past, formative information.
- Present. Circumstances; moment before, what's next.
- Future. Expectations in the script.
- Imagined circumstances. SUBTEXT. Secrets, etc. Say, Do, Think three different things.

HOMEWORK
1. Carry over: Memorize 7-12 contemporary monologue. Drew's Script-O-Rama of search on "film monologue."
2. Reflection

REFERENCES
Moving Master; first one shot 400' of film shot straight through:
Rope (Hitchcock)
Moving Master:
The Stunt Man (1980)
Moving Master:
Bound for Glory (1976)
Moving Master; Tracks & (Chapman) cranes:
Day for Night (1973 - http://www.imdb.com/media/rm124295168/tt0070460)


REFLECTION
I found that waiting nearly two weeks to make my journal entry is too long. Next time we have a holiday I need to remember to make my post-class notes sooner. When I looked at my handwritten notes I interpreted tilt "Dutch Angle" as elevation, and then I looked at wikipedia on a whim, and found a lot of the terms discussed were there. For Dutch Angle Battlefield Earth was cited as an example of overuse. I looked at the trailer on hulu, and over half the shots were skewed, making an unappealing trailer less appetizing.

I'm more excited and intimidated by the idea of working in front of a camera. There is the fun and self-aware fantasy of seeing yourself in a great and photogenic relationship with the camera. There is the flip side, in which you'll see yourself in the worst performance imaginable, and realize acting in any medium has just been a cruel fantasy. The reality, I hope is somewhere in between.

The review of acting fundamentals like given circumstances has been useful. Every project I focus on different techniques for work, and getting drawn back to some of the most basic is always nice. I was thinking of that after class when I started watching my old VHS copy of Snake Eyes, to watch the long shot.


[Post Date: 24Jan10]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home