Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Monday, January 04, 2010

"Acting for the Camera Certificate Program"
University of W Extension, Session 1

INTRO:
I almost didn't make it. All I'd heard before class was it would be in the drama build, which I took to mean Hutchinson. I wandered up and down hallways to no avail, getting several bits of advice, not around here try in that part of the building. About to give up with the offices closed, I noticed the Costumer's work area was open. So I went in there and she suggested the Penthouse Theater. I should have gone there first, but didn't want to be just another lost student pestering them unless I had no luck.

That put me on the right path, and when I found people around the door waiting for students I was quite relieved. It seems another bunch had been sent to a different wrong location.

We talked of a number of things, with all sorts of additional information showering upon us. I do hope we repeat a lot of these. I picked up a few things like leading with the eyes, for lack of the actual discription. Basically looking to where you're going to face before moving your head or body to help with the editing and continuity. I actually noticed that watching a small bit from X-Men later on before nodding off.

It sounds like we're going to review Meisner and method, which is nice as it's been a while since I did Meisner. Another introductory bit was to find our archetype. I have no idea how to do that. It's like instructors and directors all telling me to move less because I have a big stage presence. I'm not sure what that means internally because I tend towards meek, but the feedback helps.

TOPIC: Camera Angles and three types of shooting (not all-inclusive):
1. Master and Cut Coverage
- We talked about this a bit, where there is a single 'master' camera and others to the sides.
2. Moving Master
3. Three Camera Switch Shooting
- Less specific lighting

TOPIC: 180 Rule and Others
I think the applies to "Master and Cut Coverage", and possibly similar configurations. Along with this we talked about camera left and right, which equates to house left and right. And other camera terms, like the cardinal (12, 3, 6, and 9) with relation to an analog clock. To make things more interesting, some cameramen have 12 O'Clock as moving away from the camera, and some towards the camera. Bollocks. Hopefully it is a away for most, as that feels intuitive to me.

The 180 rule refers to a line perpendicular to that going back to the camera from the center of action. In theatrical terms I think of it as being the edge of a proscenium stage, and the camera being center house. To break that line (with the camera), is to lose the frame of reference for the audience. There are transitions of course...

TOPIC Camera provides the spatial relationship.
You don't occupy space, the camera movement, cuts, and placement does that. You do occupy time intensely.

HOMEWORK
1. Read handouts.
2. Memorize 7-12 contemporary monlogue. Drew's Script-O-Rama of search on "film monologue."
3. Reflection

REFERENCES
Gladstone's Blink for first impressions -- objectivising yourself. Also his book on viral marketing.

REFLECTION
While looking for the class I felt lost, but when I finally found it through dumb luck as much as anything I got a feeling of destiny. Then felt silly for such a high flying interpretation of events.

I felt overwhelmed. I was happy to start getting a feeling for the technical aspects and while they all made obvious sense I didn't write down but a tiny fraction. Like so many classes I fear there is an assumption I will have mastered every uttered word, there is a little voice reminding that is almost never the case. Some of the information was in the handouts, and I'm going to bring a long my camera and shoot the notes on the whiteboard (if there are any) in future classes, and post them here.

I picked two monologues from The Big Lebowski for homework, one a combination of a couple lines by John Goodman's character, and the opening bit for Sam Elliot's. Figuring one of those would work. I really like the writing, and the first thing I'm going to do when we're done is go rent the movie. I haven't seen it in nearly ten years.

[Post Date: 10Jan10]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home