Hard Stretch
CLASSES
Combat:
Pretty much the same as Tuesday. Except Trina and I got to finish. On Tuesday we were last up, and only got about 2/3 of the way to the stop point. (At least we got to go, at least one other pair did not get to go.)
Voice (Brennan/Kate):
We all did our pieces, then had notes. The physicality I incorporated and built on from last week served me well. That was the first thing Kate commented on. I realized I trapped myself in a corner of the stage. It was a result of rehearsing in small areas. Not a necessary trap, and as I work more with Caliban I'll take the physicality and size of the space better.
It was a gratifying note, as that is the type of thing where my confidence is very low. None of the other notes were big surprises, and I'm not even going to go into them up right now, except for one. I missed a huge antithesis, in Caliban's lust for the books. I thought he wanted them seized or destroyed to keep them from Prospero. Rather, he wanted them for himself. "Burn but his books." He meant burn everything but the books, and I interpreted it as burn naught but his books. Shit! That makes it a Hell of a lot more fun, and ties it all together better. I'll probably work on this one in the future. It is not one of the more common pieces, so could be fun for auditioning.
Acting/Verse/Text (John/Amy):
Wow. We spent the first half of our session working on Mac's soliloquy. First I went in the hall and did a bunch of pushups, then skipped some mean air-jump rope. It got the effort and discombobulation going, and then Don and Robert grabbed my arms and pulled apart hard for another run through. I wasn't to fight them, was to get my voice down, and get on my toes. I did pull against both to get resistance when needed. I was emotionally and physically spent after that second round. I felt like something really began to crack -- but I'll be damned if I can figure out what. On Sunday I'm to bring a dagger, bible/law book, and a crown. Nothing fancy, just quick things I can make or find. I'll be holding one, and only one, during the soliloquy. That will be our first rehearsal day with Hal, who joined as an observer today.
Our work together was good, but I was so fagged from the soliloquy work, I'm not sure that I helped Lori much. She commented on the voice and command it brought out helped her find the menace from me. Actually it was a strong compliment. It certainly made me feel better.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
I am still tired a day later from the soliloquy work. I'm not exactly sure why, some of course was from the physical effort as I'm nicely sore. It really got to me emotionally, and I'm not sure how. I'm affected in some way, but I can't identify it. Of course, that plays into Mac's state of mind being conflicted and unclear. Blah, blah, blah. That's director/instructor speak. I will work to find some way to pull that turmoil into my prep, even though I've now idea how or what it will do if I can.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home