Finding The Next Plateau
CLASSES
Audition:
Group B (the other group) did their callbacks. I was kind of prepared for the exercise in case we got ahead, and look forward to more prep for next week.
Movement:
We warmed up learning basic waltz and swing steps, along with some twirls. Pretty fun, and most everybody got it. Pretty good, and a nice indicator of how this work has subtly opened us up so we can pick things like this up without too much difficulty. Less than half of us were familiar with either kind of dancing. Next time we'll warm up with music.
Since we didn't have speech class, George used an hour to give us a corporeal mime presentation and discussion. Mostly Étienne Decroux, but with flavors of Meyerhold. It was a great gift that we were all very appreciative of. Amazing.
Speech:
Jack was terribly sick, lost his voice, and was unable to find a substitute. (His wife called for him.)
Acting/Verse/Text (Amy):
Since Amy was out on Friday, she got us all to herself today. It was not transcendent work like Friday, but good solid work. Spent a bit of time on my soliloquy. Yikes, it is amazing and will eat me alive. I enjoy working on it though. And there is not shortage of work needed for it.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
We had a sublime moment today, the whole class. George's presentation was generous, and wonderful.
Today I listened, tried some different things, some worked, some didn't. Having that great experience on Friday left me more open. It feels like a step forward that will last, still a part of that dream epiphany I had a month ago. More letting go. It is a constant struggle, and it seems every time you find you can open yourself up on new levels more appear. So while I expect I'll feel empty and talentless again, I'll still bring more to the table and be able to risk more because of the building from these experiences. As I alluded to earlier, it is great to let yourself learn from things that go right. I limited myself to learning from my mistakes for so long, out of some sick puritanical belief that learning from triumphs was somehow worthless and prideful.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home