Want Something?
CLASSES
Movement:
We ran the Stone Game etude a couple times, with some review, and The Slap etude to warm up. Then we broke into three groups for our element characters. We spent a few minutes before each character, getting into the physicality and voice of the character. In our groups we took turns being interviewed in character. The other three people in the group would ask you questions about yourself as the character, and they would be in character also.
I discovered a couple interesting things. First, that if the character or questioner gets wrapped up in a step within the story they are working on it becomes a cerebral exercise. Like drilling in on historical circumstance which are not central to the character. It becomes an interrogation, which is one dimensional. Or if the character is in a specific circumstance of the story, it is just painting a picture of an injured guy stuck on a mountain ledge or a guy dogsledding through a Winter's storm. Interesting maybe, but it offers no insight or connection to the actual character. It becomes more of a struggle to create a logical narrative. Asking about childhood, what is bothering them, giving them joy, etc. Personalizing the questions gets to the core. Getting their life story and world view, not a small snapshot in time and place explores the character rather than there external circumstances.
I've done this exercise before, in beginning and intermediate classes. There was more on it this time, with the physicality and voice dropped in, which in turn took you deeper into the character. We were growing the exercise as we went along, and I suggested to George that the first folks go again, so the new notes could be explored.
Combat:
We reviewed the single sword choreography. I'm getting better and sinking into my center instead of leaning forward. Need to keep working on it. We're working more on fine details and getting the acting into it. The most common note in the recent certifications was making noise for effort and hurt, and bringing a sense of danger to the weapons. On Friday we'll work on the unarmed fight.
Tutorial:
Lori and I worked our scene for a little over an hour. Finding Mac and Lady M's changes, in ways that work is a fun exploration. I like working with Lori, as we get right into it, and really try different things.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
The suggestion to George was a step forward for me. I'm generally more laid back in class, willing and happy to work with what we're given. It occurred to me that the confidence from this work allowed me to not only see something I wanted, but to ask for it. It is a confidence in trusting I know what will help me in the work. In our conferences last quarter, and instructor feedback I find it is usually something I already know and am working on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home