Not Quite Present
CLASSES
Audition:
I volunteered to go first, as A group was working the prepared reading.
Uck. I was not feeling well, and though I did homework on the prepared reading, I seemed totally unprepared. Kate made adjustments, and I held them in my awareness, but they had zero affect. In short I sucked, and it never improved. I generally adjust when given direction. It wasn't nerves, as the this chronically incipient bug had me feeling slightly fuzzy and numb. I probably needed some nerves to get my adrenalin flowing. I was a lump of dull greenish gray clay.
We have our practice next week, all three monologues and the prepared reading. I'm working on them, spending part of two evenings on each of the monologues, plus a little time on the prepared reading on Friday or Saturday. The following week will be the same thing, in a final type situation. I like this class a lot and have huge respect for Kate. I've felt for my current state I've been better served by focusing more on the other classes. I'm certainly not ignoring this class which is geared towards auditioning for big houses, but it is not something I plan on doing for at least two years. There is no way I can tell Kate I'm not giving her class priority. Mostly because it is not true, though it is getting shorted on homework time because of the time commitments in my full time job. Her feedback and advice has been great and useful, and I will be using it much now, as well as in the future. However for the last two weeks I'm going to bust a hump to get in more time for this, as ultimately it is important, and I think I can budget the time without unduly suffering in other classes.
Movement:
George was out for a funeral, so we had a birthday potluck for Lori. What a cool group. We have the artistic thirst in common, but we are so disparate in other ways. It is what I love about the arts.
Speech:
We worked more on RP, and David and I started working on an Irish dialect for our prepared reading piece. It is not very good, but next Sunday we'll spend some time in Irish and Northeast US dialects for those of use in the two non-British roles.
Acting/Verse/Text (Amy):
We ran full scenes, getting through five of seven of our scenes. We didn't go. I usually like going first or early on, but the queasiness of the morning lingered and we ended up not volunteering soon enough.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
I've worked when I felt under the weather a lot of times, and I wasn't all that bad off today. Was it the nature of the bug which was putting me in a dead spot or the way I dealt with it? It wasn't blood sugar, at least not in the morning as I had breakfast on the drive in, though I ate fairly light. At the potluck I had a very small serving. I just wasn't hungry, and while I didn't feel nauseous, my stomach had a queasy feeling as did my head. I got hungry about 10:15PM, just before we wrapped, and grabbed a burger on the way home. I finally started feeling better about the time I went to bed.
Well, if I ever feel like this for a show I will need to find a quiet place to warm up and prepare. So I can get engaged. I think if I'd spent 30 minutes doing that today it would have made a world of difference. Maybe not. I'll find out if I feel that way again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home