Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Sad Duo

CLASSES
Combat:
We reviewed the rapier fight again, then one pair at a time went through the first few beats. My combat partner was out for the first half of the day, so I worked with Shamar.


Voice (Brennan):
After warm-up we worked four monologues. Much of the exercise was know who and where you are, with regards to the story, the environment, relationships etc. I didn't hold my hand up soon enough, so I won't be going in two weeks when we see Brennan again.


Acting/Verse/Text (John/Amy):
We all worked our scenes, and Lori and I were third or fourth up (out of six). We reviewed the end of the Mac's soliloquy to get us set up and worked the first couple beats. I think this is going to be a great deal of fun. The work is fun now for several reasons. Partly because we're getting more comfortable with Shakespeare, this scene isn't as peronsally intimidating as the Petruccio/Kate scene, and we're working the scenes instead of getting beat up over the scholarly aspect of Shakespeare. The latter may be a result of the instructor switch, or a change in what we are focusing on in class. Also, I've been pushing myself to get more sleep, and am feeling better all around


OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
A bizarre coincidence. Trina, who is my combat partner, left me a voice message that one of their cats had some serious problems during the night and she'd likely be very late for class. They'd probably have to put the cat down. I got to class to hear Lori talking about how one of their cats was ailing and how they'd had to put it down. I thought she was talking about last night. I wasn't sure, as I wasn't really paying attention until I realized what she was talking about. I asked, and sure enough it was last night. Too weird. Trina, Lori, and I are the only ones in the ensemble who live on the east side, all three of us in Redmond. Now, I really like cats and felt bad for them. On the other hand, it made me kind of glad I don't have a cat, as I would might have been struck by the sad coincidence.

After classes I met up with my friend Paula, and we went to see The Three Musketeers at Renton High School. It was put on by the Acting Company of New York. Paula applied for an internship with them last year and so it caught her eye. It was great fun, and I was particularly interested in the stage combat, most of which was very familiar. It was a treat to see a show like that at this point in our combat training.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home