Oh, There You Are Peter
CLASSES
Combat:
We choreographed the hand to hand fight. Since I win the sword fight, I get killed in this one. I think it will be fun. I've got a good combat partner so this should be fun.
Voice:
We warmed up with the yoga blocks after individual warm ups for tremors, ribs, shoulders and hips. The yoga block exercises are intended to strengthen the transverse muscles. Then we spent the class working on falling, rising, level, and circumflex inflections. Fascinating, and another case of learning to use what we do naturally on stage. I really enjoyed this work, and found it informative. Most of the characters I'm working on now are not personalities akin to mine. So, understanding and exploring things like inflection in a loosely ordered fashion helps me get those characters personalized.
Acting/Verse/Text (John/Amy):
We worked scenes, and Trina and I worked with physical score for the first half or so of our scene. We chatted with Amy during the short break before our scene, saying that is where we felt most challenged. This was really fun, and extremely helpful. I'm going places I've not gone before -- it is fun to be a bit of a joyful bully, Petruccio. And it is delightfully bawdy. Not much innuendo, but lots of dry humping, beating, tongue gesturing, and so on.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS
I'm still feeling apprehensive going to class, but as recent notes indicate I'm finding enjoyment again. When I'm feeling down and inadequate an extra yearning and openness becomes present. If I don't let fear beat it back. Knowing this artistic endeavor is what I need, what will make me whole, open me to the cosmos, balance the techie, and provide beauty for myself and others keeps fear in check. It is not the narrow, fear driven, judgmental faith of today's mainstream christians which provides comfort through unquestioned demeaning and persecuting of others. It is more akin to the faith the creed was founded which allows us to pursue mystery knowing the course is right, that it will make us uncomfortable, that it will blow us out of accustomed territory and prejudices, without the modern need for little answers and assurances to keep us from moving forward, or moving anywhere for that matter.
It is not something I've had before. The going has gotten tough for me, as it does for anyone, and I endured with determination. I did not embrace the apprehension or difficulty and work through it, rather I treated rough spots as gauntlets. A shutting down instead of an opening up. I think how it would have changed things like flight school and revel in having a changed attitude now. I'm currently putting myself through a regimen that is every bit as challenging, more so I think. And, it is easier to give up, making the challenge even more.
I actively use down side of the cycle to find growth and change, and ultimately keep moving so I don't linger in the down side. It is a change in myself I have explored from many angles to understand. It is a funny thing. I don't feel a personal need to keep beating this change in how I live, but I do. Does sharing it really do any good for anyone but me? I suspect even though I don't' feel a need, my musings do serve to reinforce.
I'm still overextended, or close to it, but I feel changes starting to work on me, which are feeding the artist. Ultimately that feeds me as a person. I'd agree that acting itself should not be used for therapy in a theatre setting. I believe deeply that not having art on a personal level in my life threw me out of balance, so finding theatre has indeed had a therapeutic affect. Without it, I would likely be in need of therapy, and I'm sure I was. In nautical terms, having a balanced existence has provided me with a keel that is in the water where it can do some good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home