Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Friday, January 20, 2006

2nd Day Two
New Dawning

Note: Problems at work made keeping this week's (Jan 20 - Jan 24) journal entries impossible do write in a timely manner. Thus, the brevity.

CLASSES:
Combat: Reviewed sword and unarmed combat. More fun.

Voice and Speech: Kate gave us scripts for the monlogues we'll be working on this quarter. I've one of Caliban's speeches in the Tempest, it should be very fun and challenging. We worked on the GROK style of text analysis, which I'll report on in further detail later. Basically, it consists of parsing sentences down to phrases, for verb, subject, and object and operative words. Using colored pencils was recommended so we can keep track of things as we iterate deeper and deeper.

Verse/Text/SS: We watched the first and fourth episodes of John Barton's Playing Shakespeare series produced by BBC and the Royal Shakespeare Company. Discussion on the topics covered, and monologue assignments. David and I were assigned an Iago speech.

This class is being taught by Robin, John, and Hal Ryder. Hal's insights are very common sense, and obvious once he's brought them up. I think I'm getting a feeling for why they were so excited about having Hal involved.


OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
It's starting to feel exciting. We are doing things much differently from last quarter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home