Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Day Thirty Three
Stretched

CLASSES:
Movement: Nice warm up, followed by the remaining prop presentations, then the first few lazzi. Doing. I don't know that I can further elucidate the work. It is simply getting up there and doing it, and watching others do it to assimilate the basics. Like all other aspects, physical theatre is something which needs continual practice and honing.

Speech: We did more drill and IPA decoding exercises. The diacritical marks are the big challenge. I think we are just getting the point where we can start sounding out words without constant referral to the charts. The vowels remain the big challenge, and I want to get solid on those. That is where most of the vocal posture (accent) distinctions are.

Voice: After warmup and finishing the last couple monologues we did some more group work for our texts. One of those things which at first had me looking at the clock to see how much longer we had to go, then all of a sudden it was done.

Acting: We worked three scenes. It was good to see how John directs before going up. Very similar to his teaching for us, so my apprehension was unfounded.

OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
We are near the end of class for the term. Tuesday will be the last day for everything but Stage Combat, which we'll continue to the end of the term. I'm feeling like I would have rather kept diving into stuff for the rest of the term instead of preparing for the recital. Then again, I'm feeling a bit stretched, so a change will be welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home