Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Day Twenty
Taking Care

CLASSES:
Combat: We worked more on blocking punches and contact punches. Also did more work with the thrusts and parries/binds to 1, 2, 3, and 4. There was something new for unarmed combat, but I can't quite remember it right now.

Voice: We worked with our Shakespeare texts, on grids as a group. That is stopping and turning ninety degrees for each punctuation. Then we walked, and stopped and turned only on stops (period, exclamation point, or question mark).

Acting: We did some slow ten type warm ups and did sub text run throughs of our scenes. Only five groups went, and since Ben and I got nearly half the class time last Friday we didn't start volunteering until last Friday's losers had their chance. We didn't get to do ours. We'll do it on our own, and the things I noticed with the technique which I thought detracted from the value of the exercise for others were people doing the subtext very quietly and those who responded directly to their scene partner's subtext too much both of which I think take you out of the world you are working to create.

OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
Self care. Between work and back discomfort I've gotten very run down. There were several shows I wanted to see after class, and instead of choosing between them or going back to work I went home and relaxed, and got to sleep at a reasonable hour. The relaxation paid off. I slept straight through for the first night in ages. I needed it badly, and did better at work, rehearsal, and dinner the next day. Better art, better day job performance, a better time with a good friend. It should be a "Duuuhhhh!" moment, but it isn't. Learning to be a more realized human is challenging for me. So I'm writing it down as a reinforcement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home