Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Day Seventeen
Special Space

CLASSES:
Combat:
Heidi stood in for Geof, who had another commitment. We started working on thrusts to 1, 2, 3, and 4. There are no thrusts to 5 or 5a, as you never point the sword at another's face. It is still disconcerting, pointing at the center of the non-dominate thigh (1), dominate thigh (2), dominate nipple (3), and non-dominate nipple (4). I find it more disturbing thrusting towards the partner, than being thrust at. My general attitude, or knowing I've more reach than most of my partners?

Voice: We did the rib opening and transverse strengthening/awareness exercises from last week again. Then we worked with iambic pentameter, using skipping to find the rhythm physically then adding our monologues. The two lines which are not in iambic pentameter in mine both have eleven syllables (feminine). They are the two lines which caught my attention. Isn't this a great monologue?
Thus do I ever make my fool my purse:
For I mine own gain'd knowledge should profane,
If I would time expend with such a snipe.
But for my sport and profit. I hate the Moor:
And it is thought abroad, that 'twixt my sheets
He has done my office: I know not if't be true;
But I, for mere suspicion in that kind,
Will do as if for surety. He holds me well;
The better shall my purpose work on him.
I am looking forward to working on this more. This is the first section of one of my favorite monologues. Our assignment for next Friday is to mark all the iambs, with the stressed an unstressed syllables.

Acting: We did our physical scores. As per the assignment we picked music, and Ben and I listened to the tracks we brought for consideration during rehearsal, and decided the four jarring tracks from Stravinsky's Firebird Suite were the best. I had thought we'd go through them, get some notes and be done in twenty minutes. Wrong. We spent the three and half hours of class working the first three 'scenes'. They aren't really scenes, simply seven sequential cuts split up among seven pairs in the class.

During the feedback two things struck me. First the typical wishing we'd done better, taken it further. Not that we were better or worse than anyone else, just the same yearning which brought us to the class. Second, was the focus for notes and reworking beats were the very bits I wanted to work on more. This is a hopeful sign, not needing the work, but having a better feel where the work needs to be done. At least everyone was quite taken with our music choice.

OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
Synergism and diversity. We get different guidance on different days, even from the same instructor. It doesn't seem to bother us. There is a recognition of the difference between exploration and explicit instruction and different wordings for the same thought. It is so nice to be working with this group, and not having all the tedious arguments from students who can't seem to let go of their ego when needed.

On the other hand much of the instruction from all the different classes supports and enhances the other classes. Some of this is by design, discussed by the instructors. Much of it is because we have a very professional and accomplished group of instructors. All of our instructors have extensive professional experience, and MFA's and/or special studies requiring at least the same dedication and investment of themselves. We are pretty freaking fortunate to be a part of this.

John asked me if I was feeling alright in acting class, saying I looked a little peaked. I had started the day feeling great, so I was a little nonplussed. I figured it was just the cold I'm still getting over. Later on, I did start feeling really off. Tired, probably dehydrated again, and such. I seem to be feeling just a little off more often now, which I think is simply a better self-awareness. Noticing when I need something, instead of waiting until I'm pretty sick. Of course, I've got a very full schedule, creating a little extra stress which is another contributing factor. I made a point of getting a long sleep that night, and drinking lots of water which made a huge difference. The ensemble includes the instructors, as I've mentioned before. When an instructor (or a student for that matter) notices you are under the weather before you do, you know it is a good place to be.

I feel like I am a different person. A different actor. Refer to my main blog, "Acting Up" for an exploration of this feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home