Day Nineteen
Hardly Still
CLASSES:
Movement: We reviewed "the stone game", and added a bit more to the exercise. I got through it, though my focus was distracted by the pain in my lower back, trying to do everything I could without setting back any healing or recovery which needs to happen. I even managed to do a messy by correct shift on the bum leg, first time I've done that and sooner than I'd hoped for. I want to get beyond this back discomfort so I can play with the "constant muscular enjoyment" concept.
We started some simple physical improv exercises. There is a door parallel to the wall, down stage right. Inside, center stage, are three blocks, with a bench in front of them facing the audience, with the blocks and bench appearing like a sofa and coffee table respectively. Stage left and slightly down is a chair facing the door on the other side of the room. In between them on an angle is another block, giving you a sort of 'L' shaped living room arrangement. The task was to walk from the stage right wing, notice the door, go to the door, open it, and go into the room. In this work we punctuate movement with stillnesses, arrivals. That's enough detail for now.
The first time through I wasn't giving the stillnesses enough time to be perceived, and my intent was not clear. The second time I did much better, and it was flat out fun. We were supposed to play, and the contentious door made it easy if you treated it as a partner.
Our homework is to learn a short script we'll be doing some work with. We're moving to a new phase in the class, more direct application for the stage. I don't think we'll be leaving any of the other work behind just yet.
Combat: We learned blocks to in line punches. Like a sword thrust, you are far enough back you do not contact your partner. Then we worked on contact punches to the back of the shoulder (which can appear to be a blow to the back of the neck) and belly. They are last moment light slaps, opening and closing the fist, acting like you're snatching something from a hot plate. The victim's reaction and the sound of the slap give the blows a convincing appearance. They are both disturbing to watch when done right. We also learned the parries to 1, 2, 3, and 4, and reviewed the thrust parries from last week, adding binds (where you throw off the other sword to change to the offensive). Lots to do in drill with these.
Speech: Continued with the monologues. During warm up we did some more Omnish work, and using air to avoid the ingressives seems to really help me along.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
I'm finding I really enjoy movement, though it is the class most likely to make me nervous. I rarely get nervous before class now. We're so immersed there isn't time for it I suppose. And I look forward to the classes more and more.
I feel like I get it during movement more than I would have expected. When we are doing exercises (training/exploration not the strengthening stuff which we do lots of), I think I have an understanding what we are trying to get a feel for pretty quickly. It amazes me that I keep finding the physical helps me so much with finding character and connecting to character and partners. I'm still living in the distant past where I was the worst athlete ever. Or so I thought. I'm certainly not much of an athlete now, but I'm finding I have more physical control and expressiveness than I would have imagined. Who knows what will develop. Add that to the strong presence I have in stillness, and there is something very interesting developing. Both strengths feel counter-intuitive to my habitual self-image.
Stillness and movement. They of course define each other. I feel there is something here, something I started to find last year in the Mask class. I may not have it assimilated by the end of the year, but I sure hope some gels before the end of the year, heck before the end of the terms would be nice. We're going to start working on a Goldoni piece next week for this term's recital, and I'm really looking forward to it. There is something terrifying about it too, but I'm not apprehensive yet. I think I've started learning to more effectively procastinate fear until it is needed, and I know there really is something scary. I hope.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home