Day Five
Conflict
This is late (also writing on the 17th)
CLASSES:
Combat: We learned front and back choking, upper cuts, and reviewed almost everything. Geof Alm is the kind of instructor I would like to be if I ever go that direction. Professional, serious, personable, and funny as all get out.
Voice: Brennan has a slightly different take on tremors and Fitzmaurice than Kate. I'm kind of assimilating and will go into it more when it is more clear to me. I think the different takes will allow me to find what will work for me the best.
We did an exercise, where we wrote a haiku with smell, color, and emotion.
Sweet things in the air
A blue sky fills all the world
Starts happy feelings
Then we worked them with some tremor and physical exercises, developing a different physical form for each line, and singing one line. Last, we presented them to the class one at a time with this form.
1) Pause, then enter from upstage right.
2) Stop behind or slightly stage left of the cube with the Chinese bells.
3) Ding the bells together and set them back down.
4) Come to center stage, connect with your breath and the audience, then present.
Acting:
I developed a ripping headache. Caffeine I think. I was willing to work, but we didn't get a chance. Serendipitous. We presented our research, into Tennessee Williams (my assignment), class distinctions in the Mississippi delta country in the 30's and 40's, the lifestyle for the whores, etc. It was fascinating, and will help with the homework.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
Boldness seems to be developing. I think most of us were nervous about singing. I remember Meisner, when the a capela singing day was the scariest day of the year for most of us. I belted out something between a operatic phrase and a monastic chant. Surprisingly nobody held back their voices much at all. I got nervous when I thought about singing, and I picked the seven syllable line. So I stopped thinking about being nervous. Mostly. Nobody's ears seemed to be bleeding.
I went to work after class for several hours. It wasn't as nice riding back across the bridge after a full day of theatre like last Friday, but it wasn't awful. Until I got to work. Things had gone to Hell, and the operational support group we updated our system for, so they could do the support have been anything but supportive. I was pissed off and my headache was getting worse. Even though I was livid, I didn't obsess on my anger like I once would have. I did wake up in the night trying to figure out how to fix things myself, but that is incredibly mild compared to when I used to get spooled up. Then I would have not gotten back to sleep for an hour while I focused and built up a head of impotent anger. All this work lets me get cranky, get it out, and move on a little better.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home