Scott's ETI Journal

The Ensemble Training Intensive is a vocational program offered through Freehold and Antioch University in Seattle focusing on classical training for emerging professional actors.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Day Four
Behind

This is late (writing on the 17th), but I'm not behind in class. I do want to keep at least the class outlines here, and eventually post ahead of time with upcoming assignments at the top.

CLASSES:
Movement: We did more general stretching work, finishing up with stick balancing, on the palms of either hand, and for just a bit with the right foot. The foot will take some practice! We discussed the handout, "Meyerhold: The Grotesque; That is, Biomechanics" by Eugenio Barba. It was a good discussion, and some of the history was interesting and extended by George. It was a bit of a hard read for some, because of the imperative nature of the writing. I'd commented it made me irked in it's seemingly blind focus, until I read a hidden caveat that movement work is to be in balance with other aspects for the actor.

Combat: We learned a kneeling and standing side fall, and hair pulling, and struggling with wrists. The struggling is very gentle and smooth, but can look very good when done right. Another one which will take some practice.

Speech: Again a lot of anatomical theory and working with different phthongs, basically vowel sounds, and how moving different articulators altered sounds. As a check point we each read a short story into Jack's laptop, which we'll look at again at the end of the year as a progress check.

OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
During movement George was encouraging us to keep at it, saying that some of us won't see big changes until a year or two after we are done. It was nice to hear from him. I have that feeling from the Meisner training and was comforted to hear it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home