Day One
Starting
Searching for a format to keep my journal, so I can find things in the future as well as simply write a bit to reinforce. I'll scratch notes in my paper journal, and within a day or two copy and expand on them here. Time permitting.
CLASSES:
Acting: Assigned Vicarro in scene from Tennessee Williams 27 Wagons Full of Cotton. I hope I don't have to work on a Latin accent! There are enough other things to work on, like my research on Tennessee Williams -- Due the 16th. Analysis question supplied by John due this Sunday.
Combat: We did a grab and spin, with the aggressor lightly slapping for sound and holding the shoulder/upper arm and the victim leading the 180 turn. This was followed by a struggle, again with the victim leading. Then a punch, with the aggressor telegraphing using a bow drawing motion before throwing the punch where they are looking, well in front of the victim partner, with the initial eye contact for connection then looking at a place well in front of the bridge of the victim's nose, using a step to set up the orientation so the strike point is obscured by the victim's head. The victim follows the fist with their head, a little late is okay, early is not, and slaps (and moving the slap to gesture to the aggressor then to the audience showing where they were hit). Grunts and such are used. No homework.
Voice: Discussion of terms for the instrument (pharynx, velum, etc), and exploration of sound with different types of breathing and larynx (voice box) engagement. We'll be following a system being developed by Jack's former instructor, Dudley Knight whom he worked with at the Utah Shakespeare Festival this year. It is working towards being understood, rather than studying the artificial Standard American, with the goal of enabling us to work with various accents including those cultured ones with more facility. Girning with open vocalization for vowel sounds is the assignment for Sunday.
OBSERVATIONS/CLICKS:
I was thinking of 'epiphanies', but as I expect to encounter a lot of meaningful experiences and concepts, 'clicks' makes more sense. It has an incremental sound, as well as the inference of getting something you may have been searching for, like "It finally clicked when everyone jumped out hollering birthday wishes why the house was so dark and empty."
I was struck by what Robin said during (faculty) discussion during acting. The beats or changes in a scene should not be looked at as girdles. (I heard 'hurdles' the first time around, and I'm not sure which I like better.) Rather they should be looked at as bouncing or jumping points, launching into the next thought or action. A gift more akin to bouncing off a trampoline than a place through which you must squeeze yourself. This is great! If I can only remember it.
It may have been wishful thinking. I was moved incredibly throughout the classes. I felt connected and at ease with people before I learned their names, which will take another day or two. Their faces became attractive and alluring very quickly, like those of old and dear friends. That was perhaps the most scary part of the whole day. I'm not sure why. I may be afraid the feeling was premature and won't be sustained. Maybe it challenges me to return the same honor to everyone else. Thinking of it and the year ahead makes my chest ache with more emotions than I can analyze. That's not quite true. Rather, analysis at this point would somehow diminish the delicious discomfort of it.

1 Comments:
This is great. I read your long ETI post in your main blog, loved it, and thought, "What could he have left for his ETI one?" Hopped over here and went, "Oh. The inside scoop -- for those who have lived in rehearsal rooms." This is fantastic, Scott. Keep it up. I love both views.
Post a Comment
<< Home